Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Just Watched~ The Help














This is a well done movie.

So, I took a class on the constitution once and I kid you not, there was a fellow in there who said he read a book because Pres. Obama recommended it. Did you guess? The book was titled "The Help."

He didn't vote for Pres. Obama, but he felt like, since he needed to support our president, whomever he may be, he ought to read this book to gain a little insight on our new prez. Well, he gained more insight than he had planned. He said that prior to reading this book, he had no idea what it was like for black people in this country. (This gentleman was in his 60s) His father was apparently quite bigoted and he said reading this book was a real eye opener for him. I was shocked. He had never thought of it from their point of view.

I do not understand how a person can grow up in this world and not be "aware" of what it is like to be discriminated, abused, persecuted, and even killed because the color of your skin is different. Even if you grow up in a fantastic family in a small rural area, you have a conscience. You know what it feels like to love and be hurt. You know it's true. Every single person has experienced some moment of unkindness some time in his or her life.

Most people in the world probably aren't aware of how badly the early members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were treated. There was intense hatred. There were mobs. There was abuse, not just against men- like was had in war in those days, you were gentlemen, you fought like gentlemen- but angry mobs of men gave in to the darkness that influenced them to slaughter not just the men, but also the women and children.

This man grew up as a member of the church, hearing the stories of his pioneer heritage. He felt his heart pricked as he learned of the people who kept their faith in God throughout the unjust maliciousness against his ancestors. Is it safe to suppose that he sometimes placed himself mentally in the shoes of those men who witnessed their families slaughtered?

What is it that occurs to us when we place ourselves in the shoes of other people? If he ever did so respecting the pioneer saints, I know that he wondered, "Why would a person ever feel justified in such hatred against another because of their faith in God?"

Did he never wonder that same question when he read the text books in school about slavery?
"Nobody ever asked me what it feels like to be me."

People choose their beliefs. I believe that people who stay true to God even in the face of being  persecuted because of their faith in God will be rewarded.

People do not choose the color of their skin. How much more will God reward a people who stay true to Him even in the face of such a senseless hate as racist bigotry?

I don't know what it is about human beings that causes us to grow out of our innocence as we age and develop the ability to spill our conscience here and there, and a little here, and definitely over there, but then ---RIGHT HERE--- the conscience is tamped down. Compassion? None. Love? Nil.

How grateful I am for that ONE source of perfect love from someone who actually HAS been in my shoes. I don't understand everything, but miracles can never be explained to our limited human understanding.

I know that God lives. I know that Jesus Christ is His Son. I know that my Savior is my Savior because of the miracle of the atonement which allowed him to be in my exact shoes. And because he knows me perfectly, he can judge me perfectly.

I'm grateful that I don't have to be anyone's judge. All I have to do is to emulate that ONE source of perfect love.

In the name of our beloved Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

If you want to laugh, fume, and cry all within 146 minutes, pop some popcorn. Watch The Help. C'mon!

No comments:

Post a Comment