Thursday, June 28, 2012
|Hard, dusty work! The studs can't come out until Jake puts a new beam across the span. Can't wait!!!|
Sunday, June 24, 2012
|Know what this is? It's an 80+ year old window. It's laying on the ground 'cause we don't want it.|
|The first window is in! They're low-e, and all that other good stuff.|
|Third window in! I added a model. You know, for scale.|
|Fourth window in! Wait til you see the plans for the space under that window...|
(Cuz it gets packed down with a backhoe.)
We'll have him around for one and a half more years. Then it's off to serve a two-year full-time mission for the Church.
It is nice having a strong young man around to help us.
Apparently, people who use this stuff (normally on roofs) are able to peel as they stick, using looong rolls at a time. These particular rolls must've been 20 years old. The paper would peel off in triangles. (Ever try to peel the back of old or really cheap stickers?) Jake and I wrestled with one 10 ft long piece (him like a steaming pressure cooker, me just waiting for it to blow) before he finally decided we needed to try something different. So, I suggested we just cut smaller pieces which made the process move along much more efficiently.
Then, we had to get the gravel in the ditch a.s.a.p. before the Bituthane started falling down. Obviously, I didn't have anything to do with getting the gravel into the ditches. Although, I did use the backhoe and front-end loader a couple times about 13 years ago!
|Away with the dirt and broken concrete. Peavler's hauled away two truck fulls but we still have lots more to get rid of. I know it's a mess right now. I hope the neighbors will just focus on how great it will be to have us living in the house. Ha.|
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
Not much has happened this week. We went to dinner at a friend's cabin in the Narrows on Monday so nothing happened that day. Today, I went to the temple and had one hour before Mutual plus it was freezing cold. So I removed the belongings of the previous occupants from the upstairs bedrooms while Jake built forms for the final window concrete-pour. They left a bunch of very personal stuff. Pictures, temple sealing certificates, diplomas... it is sad to see. Anthony and Jake got the rest of the carpet removed upstairs and guess what! The original hardwood floors are mostly intact. That will save us some money!
|(Last week) Morgan took all the dry-wall down on this end by himself as far high as he could reach.|
|(Last week) When your sledgehammer gets broken and you need to punch out a window... now THAT'S thinking.|
|Got all the walls bare. Then the ceiling. This is a weird L-shaped area that we will turn into three bedrooms. The basement now smells better than the upstairs. That is window #1, where the boys were showing off with the sledgehammer.|
|Window #3, in the corner of the L. That upper right corner got filled in with concrete. All the windows down here will be nice 4 x 4 in size. Lots of light!|
|This was the only enclosed bedroom down stairs. The original door is on that left wall. We will put it on the wall facing us in this picture. All three bedrooms will open into a common area.|